Monday, February 25, 2013

Changing Course

I had a breakthrough this weekend. While doing work in the yard on Saturday I had an amazing moment of clarity and inspiration in regards to one of the story ideas I have had in my head for a long time. It really was incredible to experience. After finishing the yard and showering I sat down with my laptop and outlined 95% of a book in less than an hour. It was the most fun I have had writing in quite a while.

So what is the long-term impact of this? Well...

Imildurin Tales has not been progressing as quickly as I had hoped recently. There are a lot of things I could cite as reasons that contributed to this, but I am not in the business of making excuses. The bottom line is that I was banging my head against a wall with that story and I just couldn't get myself to power through it. Now I have this lightning-in-a-bottle moment from Saturday and I can happily say that I am setting Imildurin Tales aside for now and starting a new project.

Starting tonight I will be working on a new book. I am REALLY excited to start writing this. I told my wife this morning that I feel like I could write this whole book in one sitting if that was possible. That is probably a bit of an exaggeration, but I feel like I have a strong grasp on this entire story from start to finish and I think I will be able to put together a first draft pretty quickly.

Without getting into too many details I will say that this will be a middle grade fantasy book. This is one of the things that has me excited because I feel like this is something my kids would all be interested in reading once it is done, and the thought of writing with them as a target audience is awesome. I don't want to say any more right now, but I will say that the thought of sitting down to a fresh Word doc tonight puts a smile on my face.

Get ready page 1, I'm coming for ya!

1 comment:

  1. What I've read so far is high interest and does not read like a first draft, obviously a little inspiration can go a long way. Keep writing I'd like to know what happens next you teaser!

    ReplyDelete